Homeowner Association Commercial Pool Service Management


Is Your Contractor Licensed?

Is the License Current & Active?

Are There Complaints?

Do They Have A Bond?

​Do They Have Worker's Compensation Insurance?

Has The License Expired?

Protect yourself from unscrupulous or unlicensed contractors

General Advice

• Only hire state-licensed contractors.

• Any contractor performing work of $500 or more (combined labor and material costs) must be licensed by CSLB to work in California.

• Avoid being caught up in high-pressure sales tactics.

• Avoid rushing into repairs. Take the time to get at least three identical bids and verify testimonials.

• Ask to see the contractor’s “pocket license” or their representative’s “Home Improvement Salesperson” registration. All contractors are issued pocket licenses that show the type of trade for which they are licensed, and the license expiration date. Ask to see a photo identification to confirm their identity

​*Try researching your contractor’s name online for additional reviews

​*Pay no more than 10% down or $1,000, whichever is less.

​*Don't pay in cash.

Contractors cannot ask for a deposit of more than 10 percent of the total cost of the job or $1,000, whichever is less.  (This applies to any home improvement project, including swimming pools.)